Each week, Investment Executive summarizes notable shifts across the financial industry. Here’s what happened this week.
- Al Verma moved his Toronto-based practice from BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. to Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management (Canada), effective Aug. 19. Verma — who has more than 25 years experience in the industry, including previous time with Canaccord between 1998 and 2013 — manages $170 million in assets under administration, according to an email statement. President Stuart Raftus said in a LinkedIn post that Verma is “a strong addition.”
- Simon and Michael Hale, brothers who together run Quebec-based Hale Investment Group, have moved from CIBC Wood Gundy to Wellington-Altus Private Wealth Inc. The move was announced this week on LinkedIn, with Simon and Michael both starting as senior wealth advisors and portfolio managers at Wellington-Altus. Simon started his career with Wood Gundy in 2005, while Michael started at Wood Gundy in 2011. CEO Shaun Hauser said in a LinkedIn post that the pair and their team will join a new Montreal branch.
- David Gregoris will retire from Toronto-based investment manager Beutel, Goodman & Company Ltd. on June 30, 2023. The managing director of fixed income has been with the firm since 1992. Derek Brown, currently senior vice-president and co-head of fixed income, will succeed Gregoris as the leader of the fixed income team.
- Also at Beutel, Goodman & Company, Sue McNamara has been named head of credit for the fixed income team. In addition, she’ll be the lead of responsible investing at the company. She’s been with the firm since 2006.
- John Christofilos, chief trading officer at Toronto-based AGF Investments Inc., is now also the president of the Canadian Security Traders Association (CSTA), effective Aug. 20. He’ll retain his position at AGF at the same time as being the liaison between the CSTA’s affiliates and the U.S.-based Security Traders Association (STA). Christofilos said in a release that he’s been a longtime member of the association, which promotes ethical, free and open markets.
If you know of other people moves in the financial industry and/or would like us to consider your announcement, email Katie Keir at firstname.lastname@example.org.