Each week, Investment Executive summarizes notable moves across the financial industry.
- Jason Robertson is now managing director and head of Canadian diversified industrials with Raymond James Ltd. He was previously with Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. where he was a managing director for nearly seven years. The appointment comes on the back of Raymond James launching a Canadian diversified industrials investment banking practice by combining three of its divisions: industrials, consumer and retail; forestry and engineering; and agriculture. The new practice combines nearly 100 investment professionals across Canada, the U.S. and Europe. Robertson, who has more than 25 years’ experience in the industry, will report to Craig McDougall, head of Canadian investment banking.
- Richard Pooran has taken on the new role of chief technology officer, wealth management, with CI Financial Corp. He most recently worked with Toronto-based Burgundy Asset Management as a vice-president and chief information officer, and his industry tenure includes several years with National Bank Independent Network.
- Bran Kalmar has been named head of institutional with CI Financial investment manager CI Global Asset Management. He’s worked with the company since 2020, after spending a decade with MFS Investment Management.
- Kevan Cowan is the new chair of the Ontario Securities Commission, appointed by the Ontario government and replacing Heather Zordel who resigned last month. He’s a member of the OSC’s board of directors and served on the province’s Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce Expert Advisory Group, among other past roles.
- Marc Flynn, formerly the senior director of regulatory relations and credentialing at the Canadian Securities Institute, has retired. Flynn joined CSI more than 20 years ago after working in Washington, D.C., with Price Waterhouse Coopers (now PwC) in its international consulting division.
- Mal Cullen is the new CEO of CIBC Mellon, effective Dec. 1. (The institution is jointly owned by BNY Mellon and CIBC.) He’ll remain a member of the board of directors for CIBC Mellon Trust Company and will return to Canada from the U.S. to assume the role. Cullen succeeds Steven R. Wolff upon his Dec. 30 retirement.
If you know of other people moves in the financial industry and/or would like us to consider your announcement, email Katie Keir at email@example.com.